The Oregon LERA Annual Awards
In memory of
the founder of our Chapter
In 2004, the Oregon chapter of the Labor and Employment Relations Association (LERA) initiated annual awards to recognize those Oregon labor-management relations practitioners whose accomplishments and approach to labor relations are widely admired by labor, management, and neutrals. The individuals honored have demonstrated commitment to the collective bargaining process, extensive experience in collective bargaining, integrity, and involvement in the labor relations community.
There are two award categories for labor and for management. One honors persons in line positions (e.g., stewards and supervisors) whose role is administering labor agreements, the other honors person such as union officers, business agents, managers, and human resources personnel whose role is to develop and negotiate labor agreements. Attorneys who represent the parties are included in the second award level. There are two other award categories: one is for Neutrals, Agency Staff and Academics; the Emeritus category is for persons no longer working full-time in collective bargaining.
2019 Maggie Awards Nominations
2018 Award Winners
NW Technology and Compliance Labor Coordinator, Kaiser Permanente, SEIU Steward
Labor Practitioner Award
Neutral Emeritas Award
2016 Award Winners
Bradley Clark & Jan R. Holmes
Our 2015 honorees and their respective nominators are:
- Cherry Harris, Coordinator (Retired), International Union of Operating Engineers Local 701. Nominated by Barbara Diamond, attorney and Talia Stroessel, attorney at Bennett Hartman Morris Kaplan, LLP.
- Tracy Barton, RPh, NW Local Representative of Guild for Professional Pharmacists, Pharmacist at Kaiser Permanente. Nominated by Kaiser Permanente Senior Labor Relations Consultants Ivy Markesino and Jonathan Donehower.
- Rob Nosse, Labor Relations Representative, Oregon Nurses Association. Nominated by Todd Lyon attorney at Fisher and Phillips Attorneys, and Alan Yoder and Whitney Wong at ONA.
- Barbara Diamond, Labor attorney. Nominated by Talia Stroessel, attorney at Bennett Hartman, Morris & Kaplan, LLP Attorneys; Nathan Sykes, Deputy Metro Attorney, Metro Regional Government; Paul Gamson, retired Chair of the Oregon Employment Relations Board; and Erica Askin, Business Manager, Laborers, Local 483.
- Tim Caplice, Vice President Human Resources, Consolidated Metco. Nominated by Joe Kear, Business Representative/Organizer, International Association of Machinists, District W24 and Ron Ferguson, Human Resources Manager, Consolidated Metco, Inc.
- Wayne Landsverk, Partner, Miller, Nash, Graham & Dunn, LLP, Attorneys. Nominated by Todd Lyon, Partner, Fisher and Phillips Attorneys, and Michael Tedesco, Tedesco Law Group and University of Oregon Law School.
- Darrell Clark, Commissioner of Mediation, Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service. Nominated by Jim Bailey, Arbitrator, Paul Stuckenschneider, Arbitrator, and Julie Kettler, Commissioner, FMCS.
Lifetime Achievement Award Recipients:
- Bill Rector, Kaiser Permanente
- Burton White, Mediator/Arbitrator
- Connie Weimer, Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service (Retired)
Oregon LERA Chapter Awards Recipients
|Kathy Schmidt, OFNHP
|Gene Mechanic. Esq.; John Etten,
|Steward Level||‑||‑||Mary Verpoorten, UFCW 555||Julie Markiewicz, SEIU, Local 49, Kaiser Permanente|
|Management Practitioner||Richard F. Liebman||Jim Pruitt
|Cathy Schuh, DAS, State of Oregon||Joe Richards|
|Management Facility Level||Mary Rowe
City of Milwaukie
|Neutrals, Agency Staff
|Emeritus||Duane “Buck” Buckmaster
|Kenneth Upton, Multnomah County||Edward Clay,
|LaborPractitioner||Monica Smith, Attorny||Gregory A. HartmanRobert Shiprack
Oregon State Building Trades Council
IUOE, Local 701
|Steward Level||Tommy Rudd
AFSCME, Local 88Lisa Beasley
SEIU, Local 49
Daimler Truck Plant
|Management Practitioner||Nelson Atkin,Barran Liebman LLP||John and Joan Shipley
|Brian Morrison||Jim P. Cox
Portland General Electric
|Facility Level||Leslie TollSt. Charles Medical Center, Bend||‑||Debbie Avakian
Providence Medical Center
|Neutrals, Agency StaffAcademics||‑||Marcus Widenor
LERC, University of Oregon
|Robert “Bob” NightingaleOregon State Conciliator||Howell Lankford Arbitrator|
|Emeritus||Sally Newton, Kaiser-Permanente||‑||Paul Stuckenschneider FMCS||Eva Corbin
State of Oregon
|Labor Practitioner||Michael Tedesco
AFSCME Council 75
Local Union 328
|Sarah Thompson, Oregon Nurse Assoication|
|Labor Steward||Dannica Kaer
Daimler Truck Plant
|David Wilson, Mountain View High School|
|Management PractictionerFacility Level||Kathleen Fuller-Poe Multnomah County||Janeen Reding, St. Anthony’s Hospital Pendleton||Patrice Boose, Kaiser PermanenteBill Mullenburg, Portland General Electric|
|Neutrals, Agency Staff, Academics||Prof. Henry Drummonds, Lewis & Clark Law School||William Greer, Arbitrator||Helen Moss, LERC University of Oregon|
|Emeritus Award||Verne Newcomb, Attorney|